Japanese Cotton Cheese Cake
— INGREDIENTS —
400 grams cream cheese
6 eggs, split into yolks and whites
160 grams of sugar split- 100g for the egg whites and 60g for the cream cheese
60 grams unsalted butter
200 ml heavy cream (35%)
80 grams of all-purpose flour
Juice from 1/4 of a lemon
Icing sugar for dusting
— DIRECTIONS —
1. Cream the sugar (60 grams) and cream cheese in your mixing bowl. Scrape down the sides when done.
2. Add the butter and mix until creamed making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
3. Add the egg yolks, heavy cream, and lemon juice. Once combined, add the flour and mix until smooth. Set aside in a separate bowl.
4. In your mixing bowl whisk the egg whites until soft peaks. Add the sugar (100 grams), and beat until stiff peaks.
5. Add the egg whites 1/3rd at a time into the cream cheese mixture using a folding motion. Mix lightly trying to keep as much air as possible in the batter.
6. Pour the batter into a 10 inch (I know we said 9 in the video but it was 10) spring form pan. Wrap the pan in tin foil to prevent any water from the next step seeping in or batter seeping out.
7. Place the spring form pan into a roasting pan and pour boiling water into the roasting pan until the water comes 1 inch up the side of the spring form pan.
8. Bake at 320 degrees for 1 hour, drop the temperature to 300 degrees, and bake for another 30 mins. Once the 30 mins are up turn the oven off and open the door to let the cake cool inside the oven. Let the cake cool in the oven for 20 mins before taking the cake out of the roasting pan. Let the cake cool in the spring form pan until room temperature.
9. Once the cake has cooled to room temperature, remove from the spring form pan. Many people feel the cake is much better chilled in the fridge, just make sure to cool to room temperature before placing in the oven.
— REFERENCE —