Braided Nutella Bread
— INGREDIENTS —
1 Tablespoon 7g Active Dry Yeast
1 Cup 250ml Warm Milk
2 Tablespoons 30g Sugar
31/4 Cups 400g Bread Flour
1 Teaspoon 5g Salt
1/4 Cup 1/2 Stick 50g Softened Butter
1/2 Cup 125ml Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
Icing Sugar to serve
— DIRECTIONS —
1. In a bowl mix together the yeast, milk, sugar and egg. Leave for 10-15 minutes for the yeast to activate.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer if you have one, or you can do this by hand, add the flour and salt.
3. Once the yeast mixture is frothy and bubbly add it to the bowl with the flour and salt along with the butter.
4. Knead the dough with a bread hook for 5-10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
5. Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm draft free space and leave to prove until doubled in size.
6. Once the dough has doubled in size knock it back with your fist and roll it out into a large rectangle, about 1 cm thick or ⅓ of an inch.
7. Spread the dough with the Nutella and roll up from the long side of the rectangle. Cut through the centre of the roll of dough and twist each side over the over the other.
8. Bring the two ends of the twisted bread together to form a circle and press together. Cover and leave the twist to prove for a second time until doubled in size.
9. Place the Nutella twist into a 200 Celsius or 400 Fahrenheit oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked through and golden brown.
10. Leave the twist to cool before dusting with icing sugar to serve.
— Notes —
Make sure your milk is warm for the yeast to activate.
When proving the dough until doubled in size just keep an eye on it. This process can take anywhere from half an hour to a few hours.
— REFERENCE —