Beth’s Lobster Thermido
— INGREDIENTS —
2 8-0z Lobster Tails
1 tsp olive oil (5 ml)
1 tbsp butter (15 g)
½ cup (75 g) sliced mushrooms
¼ cup (60 ml) of sweet sherry
2 tbsp (30 g) butter
2 tbsp (15 g) flour
3/4cup (180 ml) of fish stock
1/4cup (60 ml) of heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh tarragon
2 tbsp (11 g) freshly grated parmesan cheese
— DIRECTIONS —
1. Preheat oven to 400F (200 C).
2. Cut lobster tails up the center to expose the meat, with kitchen shears. Drizzle with olive oil. Place on a rimmed cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 mins until lobster meat is cooked through.
3. Set aside and allow to cool.
4. Meanwhile, melt 1 tbsp of butter in a large sautee pan, then add shallots and cook until translucent, add mushrooms and cook until they release their juices. Add sherry, and cook until reduced by a third. About 2 mins.
5. At this point you could allow mixture to cool, refrigerate and store up to 2 days until ready to use.
6. Cut the rest of the lobster’s underside tail shell, to remove and expose the full shell and remove the cooked meat. Remove the meat and save the shells for presentation. Roughly chop the meat into bite sized pieces and set aside.
7. In a large skillet melt 2 tbsp of butter until foamy, add the flour and mix with a spoon until a smooth paste forms. Then slowly add the fish stock, whisking until a smooth sauce develops. Then add the mushroom mixture, and the heavy cream. Cook for 1 mins until thickened. Add the salt, pepper and tarragon. Then add the cooked lobster.
8. Spoon the mixture back into the shells, top with cheese and broil until cheese and mixture bubbles.
9. Serve in the shells, along with a tossed salad and crisp glass of Sancerre wine. Bon Appétit!
— REFERENCE —